Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Job Hopper Champion


I find it hard to resist not to talk about this guy... a "job hopper champion"who used to work for our vendor. I am not sure if everyone out there you know can break his record. It is not easy to win the 'Champion' title, I came to know it during lunch from my colleagues. Of course, I won't mention his name in my blog, at least you get a hint that it is a guy. :)

My colleague told me that this guy has changed 12 jobs in 6 months! To confirm what I heard is correct, I ask my colleague again, "Do you mean 6 jobs in 12 months OR 12 jobs in 6 months?". And what I got is the confirmed answer of, "12 jobs in 6 months", the shortest job is he worked in a company for only few hours, I repeat, "a few hours", I am not sure if is over half day or not. To me, is like some lights suddenly shines on top of his head, he started to ask himself why I am here? He found out that this job is not for him, and it doesn't meant for him, so he just pack and leave. I am not sure if he officially tender, and I don't think he bother to mention on his resume that he worked in this company before, I almost dropped my jaw listening such thing, I never knew such record does exist.

I still remember that there was a mexican who used to work for a chinese restaurant that I worked there as a waiter during my study in the US, this fella quit his job in one day, I still remember the way he threw his apron after work. He just leave without even a 1 hour notice, he just disappeared after work. I guess he don't care to work for such a shitty job for 1k USD washing dishes. I recall he didn't ask for any pay for that day, may be restaurant business doesn't meant for him.

Anyway, I find such act is uncool, if you ask me if I will hire a job hopper, my answer will be negative even though he or she has the skills that I want. I won't hire such a person as a IT professional or for whatever work. I can't believe it, is like he change his job every bi-weekly in average. What a record!!

One good thing is at least the IT professional got high demand in Malaysia, we have labor and skill shortage, job opportunity is everywhere.
Like the message that our government try to pass down to the public, "Recession is coming? Where got?! Semuanya Ok! (Everything is ok)"

No comments: