Sunday, March 15, 2009

Tyre craze

Hankook V8RS Ventus
Ok. After constantly measuring my tires's thread for the past one month. I finally went to and change my tyres this morning after I found that the tyres have less than 5mm depth of thread. Found one article on the net that supported my idea. When the thread fell below 5mm, the chances of aquaplanning increased. Due to it has been raining everyday, I think I need to get a new tires so I can drive around 100km/h in rain confidently. So I change all 4 tyres today in one shot as I rotate my tires regularly so the threads are pretty even. Mileage was recorded: 65,100km.
I was hoping to change it to Hankook V12EVO, the one that I posted earlier, I was quoted with the price of RM286. But when the mechanic brought out all the tires, I found out that the tires are old! It reads '1308', which means the 13th week of 2008 when they manufactured, so I said I don't want it. Finally I am settled with Hankook V8RS that is dated '3208', which sell for RM245 each. You see, after my 'extensive' research on tires, I started to check on this kind of things, or else I might end up installing older rubber to my car. Aged tires' rubber tends to harden earlier than the newly made tires. By the way, both Hankooks were from Korea.

Anyway, my first impression on this V8RS is: The thread design is not as agressive as V12EVO, the rubber on V8RS are much softer than V12EVO; also the side walls are not as solid as V12EVO. It is very obvious that this V8RS is meant for comfort like Yokohama's A Drive. These Hankook tires are very quiet, one thing of course is due to the tires are still new. I was driving my mom today and I am driving 110km/h per hours on Federal Highway, my mom didn't notice that I am driving at 110km/h, usually she will ask me to slow down when my speed is 90-100km/h. Due to the tires are very quiet, she reads some catelogue calmly and didn't even notice how fast I am driving. Later on she asked me if I have changed the tires, I smiled and said, 'Yes!'.

I will test out the tires' road holding next week when I travel to Cyberjaya. There are some slightly curvy two-lanes-road when most people are speeding 80-110km/h. Will find out how the tires perform on wet road and dry pavement. Frankly speaking, RM245 per pcs is a steal! I paid RM1050 in total which include the cost of alignment + tire valves + camber adjustment. Damn... changing tires are costly, especially if you do it every year! I think I should consider changing two by two next time so I won't feel the pinch.

More about tires:
"Tyres below a tread depth of 3mm are also affected by an increased risk of Aquaplaning when driving on wet roads. This is when a wedge of water is formed between the road and the tyre and means that the tyre loses contact completely with the road surface, so that neither the car's steering or brakes can be properly applied. "

Tread depth remaining
Wear rate %
8mm
0% worn

7mm
15% worn

6mm
31% worn

5mm
47% worn

4mm
62% worn

3mm
78% worn

2mm
94% worn

1.6mm
100% worn

No comments: