Wednesday, February 24, 2010

New Absorbers for my Superb

I really cannot stand it anymore. My car become quite bouncy when the rear absorbers were gone. It feels like riding a boat and all weight will have to transfer to the springs. If I travel long distance, I think I will get 'car sick'!

Initially I was thinking to change the rear absorbers only. The dealer quoted me Rm500+ for the rear absorber. Mind you it is without 's', that is one piece of absorber not 'a pair'. Changing all 4 will cost me more than two thousand! Shit, that is a lot of money!

No wonder people said maintaining a continental car is costly. Thanks to the local dealer, because they don't sell that much of volume, the parts will cost higher and also because the parts is coming from Germany. I quoted another shop and I got back with the price of RM400, Koge brand.


I have no choicebut to call another spare part shop at KL which I got it from local car forum. Guess what?! They quoted me RM300 for the front absorbers and RM280 for the rear absorbers!! That is almost half of the price! And the good thing is, the absorbers are OEM parts from Germany, not anything from Thailand or local made; what I am getting is the well-known Blistein brand, that explain why the price is higher. I paid Rm120 for labor to get all 4 absorbers replaced. Now my car runs great and the OEM parts fits well and doesn't give any funny noise at all.

Total damage is RM1280 for 4 absorbers replacement(parts and labor), I think it is not that bad for a big car with German spare parts. My boss told me I can get the original Audi parts from Singapore around that price. Well, somehow I am happy with this OEM parts, highly recommended. Blistein brand is also a OEM brand for other makes like Benz and BMW. Of course, the sport suspension will cost much higher, what I am paying is the standard shocks absorber, which still do the job nicely.
The front absorbers, which the mechanic spend most of his time dismantling the arm.

Although the rubber doesn't fit perfectly like the original absorbers, but it doesn't causes any noise or irregular feeling.

The rear absorbers, which is thinner. That explain what it is cheaper.

No comments: