Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Tibetan Mastiff - "藏獒"

Today I learned a new dog species called the Tibetan Mastiff.

A colleague of mine was complaining his newly bought Nikon D90 18-55mm kit can't zoom far enough when he was in 九寨沟, he said he try to take some shot of a dog fight. I joked with him, why not you just step closer and take the photos, he said he dare not to, because it is a "藏獒".

I repeat the word "藏-獒"? I ask him what kind of dog is that and how to write the second word 'Ao' in Chinese character? He replied, you don't know the word? Are you chinese ed? Then he gave me some example on the character and the word can be use as dog as well. It really trigger my interest on finding the answer, what kind of dog is a 藏獒? At the same time, I salute him for recognizing such a dog breed from Tibet. I would say I have limited knowledge on dog breed, only know a few.

Well, later on I found out from Wikipedia it is a 'Tibetan Mastiff'. I came to know that this dog is not cheap. The price can hit up to 600k USD for a pure breed. A pet that was paid by some rich Chinese to show their status. And here is the most interesting part on the dog description based on what I read from wikipedia. Let me share with you what Marco Polo has written on his discovery on such a dog during his travel: "tall as a donkey with a voice as powerful as that of a lion." They were used as guard dogs outside the sacred city of Lhasa...

photo source: http://zh.wikipedia.org/

photo source: zangaounion.com

No comments: