Monday, November 27, 2006

Night Hunting

Just came back from a full meal in company canteen. We had rabbit meat as main course.
The night before I joined my colleagues for night hunting. I am not a fan of hunting game and I don't feel excited carrying a gun to shoot rabbit, fox or wild boar. I just join them for some lifetime experience.
We sat inside three Toyota Hilux pickup trucks and drove offroad to the plains surrouding a lake in Islamabad, I forgot what's the lake' name may be called Rawa lake or something.
The night was damn cold out there, I think is only few degree celcius out there. We waited at the hunter's house for half and hour before we start our hunting, at first, I thought we are going to hold the gun and hunt for wild animals, at the end, it is we who sit inside the car and watch the hunter fire their guns. One of the hunter that wear a glasses doesn't look like a "hunter" to me, from what I heard from my colleague, he is a lawyer. He explained to me about the difference of the 12 gauge bullets, blue color is for birds, red color bullets are for rabbits, the trasparent bullet with several iron balls are for hunting wild boars, etc... I checked out the hunting guns that they have, one is double barrel and another one is a Italian made hunting rifle that can load 4 shots. His said his uncle possess a M16 somewhere in the house when I ask him do u have a AK-47. However, his uncle refuse to take it out, so I don't have the chance to hold the real thing.
So when everyone is read, the driver drove everyone one out to the plains... one guy hold the spotlight wiring the power from the truck battery and another hold the rifle, whenever they spot the rabbit, the hunter will fire their shots. Once they hit the rabbit, they will rush to it and catch the rabbit. What they do is they will take out a hunting knife and slice the throat of the rabbit right away. The poor rabbit will start to bleed and died in a minute. The scene was a bit bloody and I don't think I can do that if you give me the knife.
There was a time while we drive around the bushes, the driver came a cross a fox that is very close to the truck. I think I can reach the fox withing three regular paces because I was sitting close to the window on the right side. I was praying inside my heart and tell the little fox to run quickly. Luckily, the hunters who stand behind the car trunk didn't notice the fox even though they shoot the lights to the bushes. The driver at the front keep on pointing the direction of the fox, but the fox manage escaped from their eyes through camouflage and with the protection of the bushes. I felt happy when the fox left safely.
In about two hours, we managed to hunt down three rabbits and then we stopped next to a rocky wall which the hunter let us do some "target practice". Off course, I don't waste such golden opportunity to try out the rifles. I had a few trial shots with the double barrel gun and the Italian made hunting rifle. I prefer the Italian made rifle due to it is more stable when you pull the trigger. I also found out that the lawyer hunter is a sharp shooter.
We reached home around 11:45pm at night...

No comments: