Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Grocery 101

Yesterday I was shopping at Giant. There are two box sizes of K brand cornflakes on promotion. One comes with a bigger box and another comes with smaller box, both priced at RM12.88 and Rm5.88 respectively.

So here is my question, which box will you pick up? Assuming you consume cornflakes everyday, 'environment friendly' issue of having extra boxes doesn't comes into the picture, you can either buy the big one or multiple small boxes for self consumption. So which of the box you think it will give you the best value?

If your answer is, the big box. And the reason is if 'we' buy in bulk it will save more. Well, the answer can be right or wrong. A lot of times, our mind was fixed and we thought that buy in bulk will get more discount.

Quite a number of consumers will think that if you opt for a 'family pack', it will save you more, even sometimes you don't need that much, but it isn't the case. I saw a pretty gal picked up the big box, I couldn't help myself by offering my two cents to her, I feel like I want to put the two cents into her chest pocket so in one day when she do her grocery, she can be a smarter consumer.

I told her that why not you buy two small ones instead of one big box of cornflakes. I explained to her two points that buying two smaller boxes is a better bargain.
1. The big box nett weight is 550 gram (not sure is 500 g or 550 g but I will take 550g for better calculation), and you are paying RM12.90 after rounding up the cents. For the 275 g of conflakes, they are selling at Rm5.90 after rounding up the cents. So if you buy two boxes and it will only cost you RM11.80. But hey, then you are getting extra deal somemore. K Brand is good enough to free you additional of 50 g of cornflakes for all the small packaging. So you are actually paying RM11.80 for 650 gram of cornflakes compare to Rm12.90 for 550 gram of cornflakes only. (It could be far less if the nett weight is only 500 g), so why pay more?

2. I finish one box, then only I open another box, the cornflakes are fresh and can remain its' 'crunchiness'. Isn't that another added benefit?

Well, but then, like a lot of people, sometimes I also like that; when we fell down, we try to grab a handful of sands when we stand up, we want to show that we didn't fall, we purposely did that to grab some sand. The pretty gal told me that she is not sure whether the price of RM5.88 is true or not? Well, I told her, I don't know about you la, but I stock piling it in my cart already. I gave her my smile and walk away for the next aile. Let her there to finish up the rest of the math calculation...

(Ok ok, I know I am being sacarstic here, that is for fun writing, please don't get angry. :) )

2 comments:

炭精的世界 said...

hmmm.....my only concern is, is the girl pretty ? hahahaha

Kwong said...

Hahaha, I would say good looking