Thursday, January 07, 2010

'Brutally Cold in the MidWest'.

Check out this news titled: Frigid weather hits Midwest, -52 wind chill in ND (North Dakota)
Source:http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100107/ap_on_bi_ge/us_winter_weather
I am not sure the negative 52 is referring to Celsius or Fahrenheit, but I am sure that when it hits more than negative 10, it is definitely FREAKING COLD!
I had one experience in my life during my days in Utah, I remember clearly the night before we were having a Malaysian Student Association meeting, the small town of Logan, where my campus is located at, was being hit by some snow storm, you have to walk from point A to point B with your gloves covering your ears, because you can feel the pain when the chilly wind cut through your ears.
The wind howled like it is going to tear down the window anytime. A car from belong to my senior broke down in the middle of the road that night, some went to help him push his car out of the snow, when they come back, I had a big laugh when I saw their faces are all red and I can feel the cold air which they carried along with their thick winter jacket.
The snow storm stopped somewhere in the middle of the night, the next day I woke up, it was very very cold outside. I had a key chain that comes with a thermometer, a souvenir that I bought from Texas. I placed the key chain outside the window for 10 minutes, try to find out how cold it is. After I retrieve the key chain, I take a look at it. The reading shows negative -20 degree Celsius after conversion. Ever wonder how cold is negative 20 degree Celsius?
Okay, imagine if someone offer you a challenge, willing to pay you a million USD if you can stand outside naked for 15 minutes, if you loose the challenge, you only need to paid him 2kUSD as penalty; if you win, you get paid for a mil USD. Ok, let's not say naked, he is kind enough to let me wear a pair of boxer or brief which ever I can choose to let my 'mini me' stay warm. Lady challenger can have her bra too if she prefered, or may be she want to stay warmer, argue that she don't get used to wearing any bra but requested for a tight singlet as bra replacement. FINE!, But I can tell you, as a normal person, you DON'T dare to take up the challenge, because you won't be able to make it that easy! I am not sure if running around to keep your body warm helps, but I can tell you, I try to take off the heaviest jacket that I had and try out how cold it was, I wear it back in a minute because I don't think I can last for 5 minutes. That is how cold it is. Imagine you are talking about negative 50. Even cold blooded reptiles like Iguanas can fell off from the trees, if you read the news, what about mammals like us with warm blood?
The wheather is changing since 20 years ago, and I am sure it will be worse in the coming future, earth is dying, at a faster pace now.

No comments: