Sunday, June 18, 2006

First day in Sydney

Finally I have reached my destination at 7am+ this morning.... The moment I walked out of the plane, I am shaking! The local weather is about 6 degree celcius, I thought I can handle it with my Tee (with slightly thicker material), but unfortunately I am not eating full enough in the plane, the last meal I had was just a cold Tuna sandwich bun offered by the flight attendant. That's why I am a bit cold the moment I walked out the plane, thought they would have turn on the heater but apparently not. My "light armored" jacket is in my check-in luggage, so I think I will have to hang on to it till I passed the custom.
While on the custom, I had some issue with the tidbits that I brought it on behalf of my neighbor, the custom officer questioned me why I check "No" on bringing the food but in fact I did, I told her that it is some snacks and I am not sure if you define that as "food" or not. Then the custom officer pointed out a phrase on the form, it reads, "... If you are not sure, select YES as answer". I honestly told her that I missed that out, asked her if I should throw the snacks away since it is not mine. She said that she could have fine me AUD110 for doing so, I apologized and told her that I won't do that again, I will report it even if I brought only a cookie, she asked me if this is my first time I come to Sydney, I said , "Yes.", she gave me a verbal warning and let me through... Phew! If she is going to issue me a ticket for that, I don't even know if I can get a reimbursement from my neighbor, who just want to bring some clothes, snacks and DVDs for his son staying in Sydney, lucky I have no problem with those Hindis DVDs which I put it in my bagpack, cuz if they said that the DVDs are pirated copies, then I am not sure what is going to happen next.
I went out the airport, took a taxi to Chatswood, which is the place where the dorm is located at, cost me AUD61.20 for 20-30 minutes drive, smooth traffic along the way sitting inside the Ford, try to snap a few shots with my low batt camera (too busy to charge the battery) when I passed by the bridge (forget what it called,), can see the Sydney Opera house from a far distance.
Got into my dorm, a 3 bedrooms apartment, the rates is about 700+ AUD/ week, could be cheaper I am not sure. First impression is the apartment is quite new and nice, just that the "tenants" here really polluted the whole apartment. I don't even want to look at the toilet bowl when I take a leak, but still I would say that it is "moderately polluted" for Chinese standard. Another roomate is leaving in the afternoon, one is still sleeping, I am going to take over the fellow's room. I asked him if there is any housekeepers everyweek, he said that he don't know. I asked him if there is anything to eat at this moment around the area, (because I didn't see any food source), he told me not at this moment, because it is too early, Aussie is a bit lazy. :). So I decided to take a nap...
My housemate woke me up at two, he is going to hand me the apartment key with security card, he said that he is going to leave, so I change my shorts to long jeans, use the toilet again... a bit better now, I think this fella "fix" the toilet a bit, I have to upgrade the toilet hygene standard to "lightly polluted" standard, but still if I have tools and stuff in the rest room, I think I will have to DIY and clean the whole thing again...
Both of us walk down stairs and he showed me the way to food source and supplies... I bought a 1 foot Subway Tuna sandwich for lunch. Consider quite cheap, with mineral water is AUD 9.20, RM20+ for a sandwich, not a bad deal.:)
My first impression with the city is, "quite a nice place to live", the weather can be a bit too cold for some old folks, you didn't see a lot of people like in Hong Kong, less people compare to San Jose too, most building looks quite new and well-maintained, environment is clean and the harbor view looks very nice. It is a bit different than the city of San Franscisco, you feel relaxed in this kind of environment. I can see a lot of Asians like Indians, Koreans, Chinese, Hong Kees, Japs while I am taking a walk in the Wesfield mall.
After I ate, I went back to sleep again, really tired, because I didn't really sleep much on the plane. After I woke up, I did some reading on m working material, at 6pm, I went out to look for food, most shop were closed... I tried a Portugese burger with Fries and 375ml of Mountain Dew, (usually we get 250ml can, not 375ml, didn't drink Mountain dew for a few years, so I am going to "Do the Dew"), the fries are large in size, I requested some ketchup from the counter, the girl told me that 50 cents for Ketchup, I give her some "you-guys-charge-for-ketchup?-kind-of look". When I about to hand her the money, the Asian lady in front of the grill said it is ok, so she gave the ketchup to me for free, I am not sure if it applies to all fast food chain in Australia that they charge people on ketchup or just this one, I am going to find out later...

I head home after dinner to take a shower, I discover a drastic mistake that I have never made! I only have one pair of underwear! And that is the one that I am wearing! The whole week I have been very busy and I have to rush to do all sort of things and didn't even had enough sleep. Looks like I might need to go to work with out undies tomorrow... (sigh)

No comments: