Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Cheapest haircut in my life

Another article that I wrote while I was in India...

Last night I visited the little barber shop located opposite to the hotel to get a hair cut. The 3 stars hotel that we are staying bill us for RM290 per day, so I brought RM40 values of Rupees to the barber shop, due to I am expecting them to charge me around RM9-10 for a haircut.

I asked the barber how much it cost for a haircut. He told me a number that I couldn¡¯t believe it and I have to re-confirm with him again. I tried to be cautious with them because last time my colleague hired a taxi and the driver was very dishonest, when he asked him to turn on the A/C, the driver said that the price that he paid doesn¡¯t include A/C. I also have another story to tell but this time will stick to the topic.

I sat on the chair and the barber began his work. The interior of the shop is quite old and I don't have much complain with the price that I am paying for this "special lifetime experience". Looking into the mirror, I notice there is a 30 years old black and white TV playing today news, first thing that came to my mind is, there is quite a long time that I didn¡¯t see a B/W TV¡­

After ten minutes, a young lad brought four cups of tea to the owner and the rest of the people inside the shop. The barber stopped for his tea break and asked me if I want some tea, I said no thanks to him due to I don¡¯t dare to drink it and I also don¡¯t want to increase his operation cost and bring down his profit. After two minutes, he continued his business and I felt my neck is quite itchy and I had some red rashes on it.

The session ended after the barber asked me if I want a head massage or dye my hair, I rejected politely, thanked him, and pay my money to him as we agreed earlier. The hair cut was ok for what I have paid, (FYI, Jennifer Lopez paid 15k USD for a single haircut). I crossed the alley and head back to my hotel to take a shower right away, right before I do that, I called up my colleague and told him how cheap is the haircut. Guess how cheap is it?

The most expensive hair cut that I paid in my lifetime is 25 USD with tips 8 years ago. The cheapest hair cut that I once recalled is around RM3.50 when I was in high school about 16 years ago, but the money I paid today was able to beat the cheapest price. It cost me only 20 Rupees, which is equivalent to RM1.74! What an experience! :)

No comments: