Sunday, May 01, 2005

When Alzheimer's Disease Strikes

Did some research on the internet, learned something about Alzheimer's Disease, which my dad is having right now, luckily he is not those very serious type which can't even take care of himself. We have to spend some money on the disease to slow down the symptom. 1 out of 10 people will have this kind of disease at the age of 65-80, early sympton can be found during 40s and 50s. In case you are wondering if the disease is heritable, the answer is YES. The number of patient is increasing every year especially in US.
Have a Alzheimer's disease patient at home is very irritating and stressful. Sometimes I also feel angry of my dad's action because of his inability to make some simple judgement and also very stubborn. I am not a patient guy, sometimes I have to yell at him, I felt very guilty after what I did, because this is something that he don't want it to happen. While I was in Philippines, I missed my dad, I guess I love him; when I was in US, I still remember that I bought him some medicine which I thought might help him to improve memory that cost me USD200, I can tell you I didn't even think of the price when I bought the pricy medicine. Without my dad, I don't know what am I doing right now.
Ar... I have to take a break just now, because my eyes turned red... (Is very easy to get sentimental late at night)
(Sigh) Why I have to go through this kind of shit in my life. :( Things were so different on the day that I left for study and come back after 7+ years.
I had a friend who his grandma also have this kind of disease. He told me that he felt so annoyed with her because after a long day of stressful work, he have to dealt with her. But after she passed away, then only he realize that he missed his grandma and by the time he want to treat her better, she is no longer available.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kwong...sorry to hear that your dad has the Alzheimer's Disease...I hear you. Well, he is your dad....nothing but more love will heal him. Hope all the best to your dad.

Anonymous said...

"子欲养而亲不在"is one of the worst feeling in this world, so pls dont allow urself to have this feeling in the FUTURE...

make sure u do "what must be done" now,
,if not, u will suffer the remorseful feeling in the FUTURE

bear this in mind, "the FUTURE is now"!!!

Anonymous said...

Kwong, sorry to hear about your dad's condition, I am in Australia now, do you want me to update you the latest drug available here ? And one more thing, the current medical research is an Alzheimer Diagnostic tool which can detect the disease in the cell, you can check it out. Take care.

Kwong said...

Thanks for your help Kim Fong! I think my dad is eating the drug that was invented by Japs, you can't cure it but you can slow down the disease. How's life in Oz land, no wonder you didn't reply me when I SMS u for basketball game.